Problem importing routes from kernel

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Fri Oct 19 23:21:26 CEST 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 10:06:30AM -0400, Tom Beecher wrote:
> That much I follow, but the 172 route still doesn't appear. To clarify,
> I manually added that with :
>
> route add -host 172.16.100.100 dev eth0
>
> It was my assumption that because the 172 route was manually added I
> needed to access it through the kernel protocol, which is why that's why
> I was going in that direction.

Yes, you are right, manually added routes should be imported by kernel
protocol (while 'native' device routes that are created by kernel
could be imported using direct protocol).

> Am I missing something else simple here?

There is one issue related to routes without gateway, see this thread:

http://www.mail-archive.com/bird-users@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/msg01039.html

In short, there are two ways to fix it. Either use attached patch to BIRD
source and rebuild, or create these routes with another 'protocol source'.
I don't know whether 'protocol source' could be changed when route is
added using 'route' command, but for 'ip' command you can use

ip route add 172.16.100.100/32 dev eth0 proto static

instead of just

ip route add 172.16.100.100/32 dev eth0