Interface Instance IDs in OSPFv3

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Fri May 11 12:00:36 CEST 2012

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 10:15:58AM +0200, Benjamin Paterson wrote:
>    Great, that definitely makes more sense then :)
>    I'm still wondering, shouldn't this block:
>    if (ip->instance_id == 0)
>                    done0++;
>                  iid = ip->instance_id + 1;
>    instead read:
>    if (iid == 0)
>                    done0++;
>                  iid = ip->instance_id + 1;
>    Otherwise the condition done0>1 will only be triggered if the same
>    interface is in multiple areas with instance ID 0. I think we want the
>    condition to be triggered if the same interface is in multiple areas,
>    whatever the instance ID?

No. AFAIK having the same interface with different instance IDs in different
areas is completely valid. You can think on instance ID feature as a kind of
pseudo-vlan.

The proper check would be triggered if the same interface is in multiple
areas with the same instance ID, but check that just for IID 0 to make
the check simple.