Fwd: real broadcast mode

Tapio Haapala tapio.haapala at f-solutions.fi
Thu May 10 04:33:09 CEST 2012

Again we get problems with multicast (all aour routers stop sending igmp
last night). So I must ask that what kind possibility is get that real
broadcast feature to bird? It solve many problem when you have dozens of
routers and links where you cannot guarantee that multicast work properly.
On this case naturally right method is reboot all routers and fix that
igmp. BUT on first place that multicast is mostly pain in the ass all
time when you do not have full control to whole network so I prefer
choice that we can get rid off that.

-------- Alkuperäinen viesti / Orig.Msg. --------
Aihe: 	real broadcast mode
Päiväys: 	Tue, 06 Dec 2011 13:41:38 +0200
Lähettäjä: 	Tapio Haapala <tapio.haapala at f-solutions.fi>
Vastaanottaja: 	bird-users at trubka.network.cz

Hello,

Bird supports with ospf type broadcast. Looks that it actually means hat
you execpt from "type mcast".
On several networks multicast is broken. Yes it is broken and we cannot
do nothing for that because they are metro ethernet and odsl (operator
dsl) networks and they are leased from local operators.
One solution is make mtmp configuration but if you have 100 router it is
nightmare.

So I humbly asking new feature. It is real broadcast type. Because of
compatibility reasons it is unpossible use type bcast for that and
rename multicast for type mcast I suggest that new type is rbcast. It is
extension over rfc but it is really usefull one. On real broadcast
packets send to 255.255.255.255 so they does not get meshed up with
multicast specific rules.

--
F-Solutions Oy

Tapio Haapala