exporting routes to kernel

Tomasz Głuch groups at tomaszgluch.pl
Thu Mar 15 20:56:49 CET 2012

On czw, mar 15, 2012 at 05:33:19 +0100, Benjamin Cama wrote:
> Hi Thomasz,
>
> Le jeudi 15 mars 2012 à 15:14 +0100, Tomasz Głuch a écrit :
> > Is there any reason to not accept routes other than RTS_STATIC_DEVICE, assuming that
> > possible loops are filtered out? Is other approach for this issue? The same problem occurs
> > when routes origin from OSPF.
>
> It's not that bird only allow static protocols, it's just that bird
> won't export device routes to kernel tables by default. See the “device
> routes” switch here http://bird.network.cz/?get_doc&f=bird-6.html#ss6.4
Thank you for help. Actually, enabling 'device routes' solved problem. I came
across this term before, but I've change to many parameters at once to notice
the difference.

> You're not the first one to stumble on this; could a clearer message be
> emitted when such situation occurs?
It's my first attempt to use Bird. Added and successive 'rejected by
protocol' routes was confusing me and redirect my attention to incorrect way.
It seems to be clear now after careful reading paragraph from link above.
I hadn't associate 'device routes' option with routes from 'direct'
protocol. Some short information in chapter about Direct protocol could be
sufficient.

> Still, I don't understand why it even allows the static device route.
> Maybe because it's a host address?
According to argumentation from linked paragraph, static routes are not
managed by kernel, so there is no reason to exclude them, but I could be
wrong.

--
Best regards,
  Tomasz Głuch