bird under heavy cpu load

Oleg lego12239 at yandex.ru
Mon Mar 12 10:25:24 CET 2012

Hi, all.

I have some experience with bird under heavy cpu load. I had a
situation when bird do frequent updates of kernel table, because
of bgp-session frequent down/up (because of cpu and/or net load).
I waited about 5-10 minutes for birdc started, when i wanted to
reconfigure bird with configure soft command from birdc(ssh and
other interactive programs works well). After i changed bird.conf
in such a way that i get from upstream 0.0.0.0/0 instead of full view
birdc worked fine and bird cpu load lowered(before, bird load cpu about
30-89%).
What can i do in such situtation in future for birdc normal work?

And additional two questions:
Does bird immediately push routes info in kernel table, if it receive routes
updates from bgp-peer or it wait for the next kernel table scan?
How can i set in one kernel protocol different scan time from another one?

Thanks.