FreeBSD bugs ;)

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Jan 17 14:37:43 CET 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 01:41:02PM +0100, Pawel Tyll wrote:
> > This is OK. Imported shows just number of routes propagated to directly
> > connected table, while preferred count shows cummulative number of
> > routes originated by that protocol in all tables where these routes are
> > preferred.
> Hm,  personally I would prefer to receive information only about [some
> BGP  protocol] when asking for information about [some BGP protocol] -
> this  way  I'll  have 23857286917 preferred prefixes in no time, think
> about it yourself: how useful is that number? :)

That makes sense for imported/exported counters as that are just
properties of the protocol. But whether the route is preferred depends
also in which routing table and we do not count it independently for
each pair (proto, table).

It would be possible to count that just for directly connected table,
but the idea is that directly connected table is not any more special
than any other table that receives the route (and sometimes, like in
route server setting, where there is more or less one table per BGP
neighbor, the number of preferred routes in the directly connected table
is not really relevant). Not to mention it is also counterintuitive
- if it would show '0 preferred', users would think it is not
important and can be disabled for import, but it may have many
preferred routes in many tables (just not in the directly connected).