RIPng (Sorry for beating a dead horse!)

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Sat Feb 18 13:06:18 CET 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 05:09:39PM -0500, David Splittberger wrote:
>    So I've just started using bird and just wanted to verify with you all
>    what I'm seeing in RIPng. I've scoured the mailing list archives so I'm
>    pretty sure this is the same bug that has been reported before but I
>    figured I would just see if maybe I've actually got a misconfiguration
>    instead.

>    protocol rip my_rip2 {
>            table t5;
>            import filter { print "importing"; accept; };
>            export filter { print "exporting"; accept; };
>            port 521;
>            honor neighbor;

>    >>> my_rip1: fe80::215:17ff:fe0d:86f4 send me routing info but he is not
>    my neighbor
>    I hadn't seen those messages turn up in anyone elses posts to the mailing
>    list about RIPng so it's making me think I have a misconfiguration
>    somewhere.

First, 'mode broadcast' cannot work with IPv6 (but BIRD should complain
about bad config).

Your messages are specific to 'honor neighbor' option, but the main
problem is in RIPng implementation of BIRD (which is broken from the
beginning).

You can use attached patch to get RIPng work (at least on Linux,
probably also with 'honor neighbor' option, but i didn't checked that).

It contains the patch from Roman Hoog Antink [1], does not contain the
patch from Goesta Smekal [2] (which is needed just for compatibily with
other implementations), but it could be used simuntaneously.

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/bird-users@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/msg01604.html

[2] http://www.mail-archive.com/bird-users@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/msg01824.html