Consulting

Tapio Haapala tapio.haapala at f-solutions.fi
Fri Dec 21 00:37:04 CET 2012

> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 7:52 PM, Scott <scttlists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi List,
>>
>> Seeing the message of Jeff yesterday and the fact I have been trying to get
>> bird to work for a few days now I am pretty sure I need help from soneone
>> setting up bird.
>>
>> We are basically setting up anycast with a few servers at three locations.
>> The servers will need to speak OSPF to a Juniper router which then
>> redistributes the routes accordingly to the internet. We would like to use
>> bird(6) to do this for a few ips setup at the loopback interface (both IPv4
>> and IPv6).
>>
>> I managed to get quagga ospfd working just fine, ospf6d not unfortunately.
>> Figured switching to bird would help but I can't get IPv4 ospf in bird
>> working either.
>> I read the manual of bird a few times, top to bottom, googled around but
>> didn't got it to work.
>>
>> The servers are running CentOS 6.3, I have compiled bird & bird6 from
>> source.
>> What i need done is a full config for bird & bird6, I tried almost every
>> setting so I think it is best if someone just creates a config from scratch
>> for us. The setup is quite simple honestly, the routers are running ospf and
>> ospfv3. IPs are assigned to the interfaces and loopback. We don't need ospf
>> authentication but do need the bird config/process secured, logging to
>> syslog and just some prefix filtering on what goes out over OSPF.
>>
>> I have no problem paying for it.
>> Hopefully somebody can help me out here.
>>
>> Thanks a lot!
>>
>> Scott

I assume that ospf is not very familiar for you so I give tip what can
save mutch time. You need use same hello and dead timer in all devices
in same L2.
There is our config for our anycast dns server. With that config we use
/32 mask in anycast ip as extra ip in server main interface. And in some
cases you need also ip_forward to set 1.
This sample conf is not wery strict (you can soot yo your leg if you
have static routes or if that dns server is not dedicated for that
purpose) but anyway it works ;)

log "/var/log/bird.log" all; #this is very verbose so you maybe want
something else
router id 11.22.33.44; # fix this to uniq ip formatted id

protocol kernel {
        persist;                # Don't remove routes on bird shutdown
        scan time 20;           # Scan kernel routing table every 20 seconds
        import none;            # Default is import all but we trus our
default route
        export all;             # Default is export none but we want
announce our interface ip
}

# This pseudo-protocol watches all interface up/down events.
protocol device {
        scan time 10;           # Scan interfaces every 10 seconds
}

protocol static {
}

protocol ospf ownospf {