bird-lg, another looking glass

Job Snijders job at instituut.net
Tue Aug 7 12:07:54 CEST 2012

Hi Ondrej,

On 7 aug. 2012, at 12:11, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:

>> A live example how cool bird-lg is can be found here:
>>
>> http://lg.ring.nlnog.net/prefix_bgpmap/lg01/ipv6?q=bird.network.cz
>> http://lg.ring.nlnog.net/prefix_bgpmap/lg01/ipv4?q=bird.network.cz#
>
> I like this LG, esp. because it do not try to imitate Cisco/Quagga LG.
>
>> ps. This LG is currently taking 23 IPv4 BGP feeds and 24 IPv6 full table feeds, without a sweat! http://tinyurl.com/d2o27q7 BIRD rocks! :-)
>
> Just curious - what is this BIRD installation (ring.nlnog.net)?
> It seems that it receives full BGP feeds, so i guess it is not
> a common route server. Some distributed BGP monitoring?

The NLNOG RING is an international distributed network debugging effort. In a nutshell: to join a participant must make a (virtual) machine available, and after that the participant gains access to all other machines from all participants. This way you have shell access to machines in 110+ ASNs in 26 countries. As a participant you can run a variety of tests: latency, mtu, traceroute, jitter, etc from all hosts towards a target. Aside from that the RING maintains other services such as this general purpose looking glass.

Kind regards,

Job