feature request: extend clist operations with pair sets

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Apr 17 14:33:15 CEST 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 05:00:40PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> Well, we cannot have clist literals, only pair set literals.  That makes
> this limitation of clist operations rather unfortunate.
>
> Can BIRD be extended to allow operating on clists using pair sets?
>
> I.e. clist.add(pair set), clist.delete(pair set)...

You could use clist.delete(pair set) or clist.filter(pair set).
Only nonimplemented think is clist.add(pair set), which is
operation that would expand compact representation of pair sets
to explicit representation of clist, which is generally expensive
and that may not be obvious to some users. For example,
even restricted user from bird client could exhaust all memory by
using show route command with some filter containing clist.add([(*,*)]).

If we explicitly limit number of communities in clist, it could be done,
but it is probably better idea to implement clist literals, which may
be also useful for explicitly setting bgp_community with initial clist.