iBGP

Alexander V. Chernikov melifaro at ipfw.ru
Sat Oct 1 00:49:13 CEST 2011

fredrik danerklint wrote:
> Setup:
>
> Transit <-> CR2 <-> ER2
>
> Loopback addressess:
> CR2 has the ip adress of xx.xx.xx.2/32.
> ER2 has the ip adress of xx.xx.xx.4/32.
>
> Network link:
> CR2 has the ip address xx.xx.xx.201/30
> ER2 has the ip address xx.xx.xx.202/30
>
> All announced via ospf so ping and traceroute does work between each other.
>
> bird> show route  for 77.73.232.6 all
> 77.73.232.0/21     via xx.xx.xx.201 on igb2 [b4_sekkaa_1_cr2 2011-09-30
Real (announced to kernel) nexthop is xx.xx.xx.201
> 22:18:34 from xx.xx.xx.2] * (100/6) [AS42678i]
>         Type: BGP unicast univ
>         BGP.origin: IGP
>         BGP.as_path: 35706 8359 25513 42678
>         BGP.next_hop: xx.xx.xx.2
CR2 announces you its source (loopback) address which is OK
>         BGP.med: 0
>         BGP.local_pref: 100

Since your session is multihop and (at least FreeBSD) kernel can't
resolve recursive routes this is done by bird (gateway recursive is set
in this case). It changes received gateway with gateway via which
xx.xx.xx.2 is directly reachable. This is xx.xx.xx.201.

I can't see any problem here. Please correct me if I'm wrong.