Feature requests

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Mon May 16 21:59:56 CEST 2011

Hello

Thanks for all the answers.

Here are comments to received requests:

NSSA:
This seems to be, surprisingly for me, the most requested
feature, as it does not look hard to implement i will probably
implement that in near future.

BFD:
As suggested in the first mail, i will probably implement that
in near future.

MRT routing table dumps,
BGP extended communities,
Flow Specification RFC 5575:
These look interesting, perhaps we implement some of these
(esp. MRT table dumps), but no solid plans.

VRRP:
Maybe. Is there any advantage if it is integrated in routing daemon
(instead of using independent VRRP daemon)? I would guess that there
isn't any interaction between VRRP and routing, but i don't have any
experience with VRRP.

Multi-AF OSPFv3 support (RFC 5838):
This is interesting. Currently BIRD have complete separation of IPv4 and
IPv6 (two binaries, two processes), but this is probably the first real
reason for integration (or likely some kind of partial integration,
like ability of bird6 to handle IPv4 routes).

MPLS/VRF support:
That looks interesting, but i doubt that many people uses that on Linux
- for example MPLS forwarding for Linux is not even part of an official
kernel source tree.

Privilege separation:
Real privilege separation is probably unnecessary complicated solution
for our purposes. We implemented privilege restriction, where BIRD runs
under nonprivileged user and uses Linux capabilities to keep just the
required privileges. The code is in GIT and will be probably included in
the next version.

BGP peer group:
What exactly this should solve? If just common defaults, then i think
that with common filters and copy/paste in editor (or config file
generated by a script) there is not a real reason for peer groups. But
perhaps some generic tool for sharing common defaults would be a good
idea.

BGP dynamic neighbors using subnet ranges:
This might be useful but it really doesn't fit well to the BIRD protocol
framework.

Troubleshooting tools like traceroutes:
Do not see any reason to use that from BIRD if that can be easily used
from Linux command line and there are already plenty of these.

Possibility to configure the local network directly from BIRD:
Using separate independent tools to do independent things is just the
Linux way. I don't think it is a good idea to integrate this to BIRD.