Redistributing kernel routes

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Mon May 2 22:01:35 CEST 2011

Ondrej,

--On 2 May 2011 21:58:51 +0200 Ondrej Zajicek <santiago at crfreenet.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 08:20:36PM +0100, Alex Bligh wrote:
>> I am having difficulty redistributing kernel routes into any other
>> protocol.

>> b) I cannot get normal static "via" routes to distribute.
>
> You have to add 'learn' option to the kernel protocol config.
> Otherwise, kernel protocol is export-only.

Ah. I knew it would be something stupid. It now works. Thanks.

Without the patch it appears to import all the routes other
than the device routes marked "proto boot". The device
routes import whether or not I have "device routes yes"
set. Is that expected behaviour? (not complaining, it
simplifies my config).

> But if you do not have some special situation here (like routes
> dynamically generated by some other software), it is usually
> a better idea to have static routes configured in BIRD using
> static protocol and export these to the kernel instead.

I have routes dynamically generated by some other software. My
aim is to use bird to pick these up and advertise them.

--
Alex Bligh