Show BGP peer data when session is down?

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Wed Jul 13 13:15:48 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 05:08:40PM +0200, Lars-Johan Liman wrote:
> If you have an established BGP session, you can find out a lot of the
> session details using
>
> # birdc show protocols all <bgp_proto_id>
>
> Specifically, you can look at
>
>   BGP state:		...
>     Session:		...
>     Neighbor AS:	...
>     Neighbor ID:	...
>     Neighbor address:	...
>     Nexthop address:	...
>     Source address:	...
>     Neighbor caps:	...
>     Route limit:	...
>     Hold timer:		...
>     Keepalive timer:	...
>
> Now, if the session is terminated for one reason or another, the info
> disappears.
>
>   BGP state:		Passive
>     Last error:		Received: Administrative shutdown
>
> and that's it.
>
> This makes it very hard to create scripts that keep an eye on specific
> peering sessions based on the identity (remote IP address) of the
> peer, because once the session is down, you can no longer find it,
> because the IP address is nowhere in the output. :-P

Hello

Generally, the protocols are supposed to be identified by their names,
so we usually do not print 'static' information which is directly
from config files.

But as it seems that this is requested feature, we could change some of
output that is available only when the session is to be available all
times. Some of these values can be easily avaliable all times (like
Neighbor ASN and address), some are complicated (like Nexthop address
and Session) and some are dynamic and unavailable when off (like
Neighbor ID or timers)

I would prefer to make available just 'Neighbor AS' and 'Neighbor
address' fields. Perhaps 'Session' too. Is this sufficient for
your purposes?