<TRACE> RABCD_0_1: Connect delayed by 5 seconds vs connect retry time

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Thu Feb 10 10:57:01 CET 2011

On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 10:45:04AM +0100, Stefan Jakob wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> Currently I am wondering, how I can improve this situation:
>
> 2011-02-09 10:34:36 <TRACE> RABCD_0_1: Connection lost (No route to host)
> 2011-02-09 10:34:36 <TRACE> RABCD_0_1: Connect delayed by 5 seconds
> 2011-02-09 10:34:40 <TRACE> RABCD_0_1: Connecting to 2001:from local
> address 2001:
>
> This output appears every 5 seconds in the log
>
> This peer is in active mode and I want to increase the "retry time":
>

> Regarding http://bird.network.cz/?get_doc&f=bird-6.html#ss6.1
>

> connect retry time number
>
>     Time in seconds to wait before retrying a failed attempt to connect.
> Default: 120 seconds.
>
> start delay time number
>
>     Delay in seconds between protocol startup and the first attempt to
> connect. Default: 5 seconds.
>

> Imho the first startup should be delayed 5 seconds and after that
> connect retry time should be used, to delay next connection attempt.
>
> Why isn't this working? Design issue, bug or do I just look at the wrong
> config options?

The documentation is not exact in this case. Connect retry time is a kind
of timeout - if connection is not established until that time, it is retried.
But if the connection explicitly fails (like when 'no route to host'
is received) it is not used.

The behavior is:

start:
wait for start delay time
try to connect
if error received then goto start
if connect retry time reached and still no connection then goto start

So you have to either raise start delay time or just ignore it.