syncing device routes

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Sun Dec 4 12:17:44 CET 2011

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 04:07:31PM +0100, Patrick Westphal wrote:
> Hello bird users,
>

> I have two hosts running linux containers, beeing wired to the
> corresponding host via veth interfaces. I don't use bridging and so want
> to make the networking work with routing. For a single linux container
> (e.g. on host A - 10.77.0.24) to be accessible from the opposite host
> (host B - 10.77.0.25) I could set up routes like
>
>   root at hosta:~# route add -host <container_ip> vethXYZ
>
> where vethXYZ is the veth peer accessible from the host machine, and
>
>   root at hostb:~# route add <container_ip> gw 10.77.0.24

Note that BIRD does not really work on interfaces that do not have
any configured IP addresses. (just adding that using 'route add -host'
does not work). Not sure if i understand correctly what you want,
if you want to automatically configure addresses of ptp links according
to what is connected to the other side,  that it is not possible with
BIRD. The issue is unrelated to routing protocols.

If your vethXYZ has some configured IP addresses, then propagating
some /32 loop address should not be a problem.