OSPF loading State

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Aug 2 10:44:52 CEST 2011

On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 10:57:01PM -0400, Ryan Whelan wrote:
>    I'm now having this issue with a new device and its chronic.  It goes into
>    fully peer.  One end of the tunnel is in 'full', with the other contently
>    in 'loading'; no routing information gets exchanged.  I'm not really sure
>    how to trouble shoot the issue, I tried removing the security and other
>    static protocols to no avail.

If it is a permanent problem, it could be be easily debugged. But in the
past, permanent problems with the same manifestation showed to be some
some different problems, usually with the interface (like mismatching MTUs)

>    I have logs and tcpdumps if anyone is interested- assuming this is a bug
>    and I'm not doing something wrong.

Could you send me these? For BIRD logs, i would be useful to have logs
with enabled 'debug { events, packets }' for OSPF on both sides.

>    The only difference between this PtP link and the others I've setup, is
>    this link is a tunnel setup with OpenVPN instead of IPSec.  In the past
>    I've used Bird with Quagga over OpenVPN links, so I wouldn't assume thats
>    the issue?

Shouldn't be. But OpenVPN is a strange beast, perhaps it has some
strange behavior to packets. One possible change in BIRD is that packets
for PTP ifaces were sent to unicast IP in the past but it was changed to
allrouters-multicast IP (to be consistent with standard). If OpenVPN
have some problems with multicast, that may be the problem.
In that case the solution would be to switch the iface type to PTMP.