Netlink: File exists

Timo Weingärtner timo.weingaertner at atis.uka.de
Mon Sep 13 20:48:50 CEST 2010

Hi,

Am Dienstag, 2. Februar 2010 schrieb Ondrej Zajicek:
> On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 06:57:14PM +0000, Chris Webb wrote:
> > This seems to work fine, apart from the message "bird: Netlink: File
> > exists" appearing in syslog every minute.

> > in case this is related to bird being unable to overwrite the existing
> > static routes?
>
> Yes, the behavior is that BIRD will ignore existing 'alien' routes and
> can't overwrite them. As routes in kernel routing table have protocol tag
> specifying who added such route, we remove 'our' unexpected routes (for
> example, if BIRD is killed and restarted), but ignore 'alien' routes.

I also ran into that bug with six equal routers doing OSPF and one default
router not doing OSPF. Each of the OSPF routers has a default route and two
unreachable routes (ip r a ... proto static), that were tried to be
overwritten by BIRD, because BIRD liked the same route via OSPF better.

From what I read in ip(8) (search for "rt_protos") the correct behaviour would
be:
 * On start up purge all routes with protocol boot
 * Respect routes with protocol static and give them higher precedence than
   dynamic routes.

Routes with protocol kernel seem to be handled by the direct protocol. Perhaps
it's using the addresses on the interfaces instead.

For now I have set preference values manually (direct 20, kernel 15, ospf 10)
and the log messages are gone.

Greetings
Timo
--