Detecting static route availability [Was: Detecting link state, FreeBSD]

Stéphan Kochen stephan at kochen.nl
Thu Nov 4 17:14:33 CET 2010

On do, 2010-11-04 at 10:24 +0100, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> I would suggest to use some shell/perl script that ping to the gateway
> and according to its reachability it will enable/disable static
> protocol (with routes using that gateway) in BIRD.

While we're on this topic...

I'm facing a similar situation, where a bunch of publicly addressable
hosts have a primary default route and a secondary. I was wondering if
there is some reliable way of doing this kind of failover, or even if
there is a ready-made solution out there.

My concern with doing this myself is important scenarios I might be
missing. For example, routers that drop pings under congestion. Or
indeed if both my routers end up in an unreachable state, to not end up
with an empty route table.

I'm not on FreeBSD, but Linux myself. And I know Linux can do failover
using the neighbour table and multiple routes with metrics. But all of
this appears to be undocumented voodoo.

What's really the proper way of doing this?

Thanks,
-- Stéphan