Any IX willing to share their config?

Arnold Nipper arnold at nipper.de
Sat Dec 25 13:19:04 CET 2010

Am 25.12.2010 11:57, schrieb Ondrej Zajicek:
> On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 05:03:46AM +0200, Alexander Shikoff wrote:
>
>> I've googled around this problem and have not find yet another
>> ideas/discussions etc. So your way seems to be most easy and effective
>> at present moment.
>
> Another, even simpler, way is to assign each connected client with
> 32bit ASN some pseudo-ASN from private range. This pseudo-ASN
> would be used with standard communities (0:X, MyASN:X).

unfortunately there is no one-to-one and onto mapping between 32bit ASN
and ASN from private range which makes it impossible to come up with a
general solution. Otoh a first come first serve assignment at each IXP
will for sure lead to different mappings 32bit ASN <-> private ASN which
makes it really cumbersome for ISP's connected to more than one IXP.

A better approach might be to use extended communities. However iirc the
problem there is that you only have 48 bits left. You could work around
that by splitting the range in 24bit/24bit which would of course be
sufficient for nowadays ASN in use, but make it cumbersome to calculate
the values to set.

Best regards and happy holidays,
Arnold
--
Arnold Nipper / nIPper consulting, Sandhausen, Germany