BIRD wiki proposal

Nick nick at somerandomnick.ano.mailgate.vanet.org
Wed Dec 22 08:07:05 CET 2010

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 02:36:11PM +0100, Stéphane Bunel wrote:
> Le 19/12/2010 08:44, Nick a écrit :
> >On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 09:06:16AM -0300, Andrew Latham wrote:
> >>Sorry, I am a bit of a lurker on this list but I must chime in.  In
> >>the last 15 years I have watched many projects grow and let me say
> >>that community documentation is a good step.  It is hard and can
> >>appear to fail while it is working well.  I am setting up a wiki-farm
> >>for some internal projects and would suggest you look around for a
> >>large wiki-farm at a university that will exist long term.  All major
> >>Wiki's and software does have an export path to PDF style documents.
> >
> >If you want your documentation to exist long term, you shouldn't lock it
> >up in some random wiki storing its pages in some random database format.
> >ikiwiki stores your pages as regular files and uses git as the version
> >control system instead of inventing some random VCS.  ikiwiki also makes
> >it easy for people to contribute to your wiki without ever opening some
> >random browser.
> >
> >Some Random Nick
> >

> I agree about storing wiki data in flat files instead of databases.
> In this category, IMHO, DokuWiki[1] is a serious player. And sure,
> community documentation is a good step for Bird.
>
> Stéphane.
>
> [1]http://www.dokuwiki.org/dokuwiki

I can't access the dokuwiki manual for 2 days now, so I'm writing
the response without all knowledge.  It seems that dokuwiki invents
some random VCS instead of using a real one.  That makes plugins like
conflictmerger useful, and necessary for any serious deployment.

In:
http://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:conflictmerger
the conflictmerger author says about his plugin:

   This plugin is the second or third time that I develop something in
   PHP, and although it passes all the acceptance tests I could think of,
   I didn't test it in a real wiki. So you may want to review its code
   first before using it ;)

   Also note that I have no further development plans, at least in the
   short term.

Also most real wiki use is read-only, and ikiwiki lets the webserver
serve static HTML pages instead of forcing it to execute a script at
each pageload.

Some Random Nick

--
Wanna turn ICANN into ICANNt?  Join a darknet today:
http://www.anonet2.org/darknet_comparison