Very simple bird.conf

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Wed Apr 14 13:38:47 CEST 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 11:33:31AM +0100, Chris Webb wrote:
> When I do birdc show protocols all, it includes:
>
>   bgp1     BGP      master   up     10:56       Established
>     Preference:     100
>     Input filter:   ACCEPT
>     Output filter:  <NULL>
>     Routes:         311380 imported, 1 exported, 311380 preferred
>     Route change stats:     received   rejected   filtered    ignored   accepted
>       Import updates:         334136          0          0       7828     326308
>       Import withdraws:         1756          0        ---          0       1756
>       Export updates:         326310     326308          1        ---          1
>       Export withdraws:         1756        ---        ---        ---          0
>     BGP state:          Established
>       Session:          external
>       Neighbor AS:      25577
>       Neighbor ID:      84.45.90.246
>       Neighbor address: 84.45.39.149
>       Nexthop address:  84.45.39.149
>       Source address:   84.45.39.150
>       Neighbor caps:    refresh
>       Hold timer:       153/180
>       Keepalive timer:  33/60
>
> I think this means I've got the export filter wrong somehow and am trying to
> re-export the routes I get in from my upstream. (Perhaps they're going bgp ->
> kernel -> bgp?)

You mean because of this:

>       Export updates:         326310     326308          1        ---          1

?

No, it is OK. BIRD just internally tried to export every route in the
table to every protocol and the BGP protocol internally rejects all
routes that were generated by the protocol itself (this is the counter
named 'rejected'). One route is filtered by the filter and one route is
finally exported to the BGP neighbor (assume it is  from direct
protocol).

One thing that is a bit strange on your setting is that you export
a prefix from a local interface (from a direct protocol) to a BGP
neighbor. Usually, there are configured static routes (from a static
protocol) containing aggregated prefixes which are exported to a BGP
neighbor.