BIRD Route-Server template configuration

Wolfgang Hennerbichler wh at univie.ac.at
Fri Sep 11 10:37:18 CEST 2009

On 11.09.2009, at 10:27, Ondrej Filip wrote:

> On 11.9.2009 08:58, Wolfgang Hennerbichler wrote:
>> Good Morning Ondrej,
>
> Hi Wolfgang!
> great news! However please wait for next release. I fixes one more BGP
> related bug.

Hi Ondrej, thanks for answering.

before we go into production maybe 2 months or so will pass, so no
problem, I guess the next release will be out before us going
productive :)

>> I've got bird running in a test-setup where it's already working
>> great
>> as a route-server with an extremely low memory footprint. Grats for
>> that! I'm also getting more and more confident in working with,
>> understanding and using bird. However a question that came to my
>> mind is
>> the strategy you chose here:
>>
>> On 21.08.2009, at 22:50, Ondrej Filip wrote:
>>>
>>> All session are unfiltered (except max prefix limit) and
>>> connected to routing table named T<AS#>. So it means all prefixes
>>> received from R25192x1 and R25192x2 are store in routing table
>>> called
>>> T25192. Each AS has its own routing table. All those routing table
>>> are
>>> connected to the master RT by pipe protocols named P<AS#>. Filtering
>>> (both in and out) is applied on those PIPE protocols.
>>

>> Why don't you filter in the BGP sessions directly instead of in the
>> pipe-protocol, this saves you some precious memory and doesn't do any
>> harm, or am I wrong in my thinking?
>
> That is because I wanted to know what the IXP members sent to me
> before filtering. I want them to have good export filters, so I
> compare difference before and after filtering. That should be the same
> in optimal scenario.

I see. So this is your way of 'soft reconfiguration'.

> But you way is correct as well of course.

Good to know :)

> 				Ondrej
>

>> Wolfgang
>>

> --
> (  CZ.NIC z.s.p.o.                              )
>  Ondrej Filip  -  CEO
>
>  Office : Americka 23, Praha 2,   Czech Republic
>  Email  : ondrej.filip at nic.cz  http://www.nic.cz
>  Private: feela at network.cz

www.vix.at | www.aco.net
wh at univie.ac.at | WH844-RIPE