My routing size is too big!

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Thu Oct 15 15:35:42 CEST 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 02:01:38PM +0100, David J Craigon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use bird to get the complete internet routing table onto
> a linux box. I've got a BGP session with a transit provider. It works
> for a bit then bombs out with:
>
> ebgp: Received: Maximum number of prefixes reached: 00010100000002

This means that your BGP peer received from you more prefixes that
it is allowed to accept. You probably don't want to export
anything (add 'export none;' to your BGP config) or just export
configured static routes (add 'export where source = RTS_STATIC;'
to your BGP config).

Generally, messages from BGP prepended with 'Received: ' are notification
messages from a BGP peer.

> Interestingly, if I redirect these routes into an alternative routing
> table it works OK.

Because other routing table is empty and therefore nothing is exported
to the peer.