log file getting too big

David J Craigon david at craigon.co.uk
Wed Nov 18 15:44:32 CET 2009

It might well be a problem on my end. Any suggestions are welcome.

It's not the file system:

[root at localhost 5731]# ls -sh /tmp/
total 5.9G
3.9G bigfile     0 birdlogtmp  2.1G look

where the file "look" is what was the bird log file. Bird stopped when the
file became 2.1 Gb. As you can see, I can make bigger files

I've got bird to create a core dump, which I can include if you really want,
but sticking it in gdb tells me the following:

[root at localhost ~]# gdb /usr/sbin/bird core.4934
GNU gdb Fedora (6.8-37.el5)
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux-gnu"...
(no debugging symbols found)

warning: Can't read pathname for load map: Input/output error.
Reading symbols from /lib/i686/nosegneg/librt.so.1...(no debugging symbols
found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/i686/nosegneg/librt.so.1
Reading symbols from /lib/i686/nosegneg/libc.so.6...(no debugging symbols
found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/i686/nosegneg/libc.so.6
Reading symbols from /lib/i686/nosegneg/libpthread.so.0...
(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/i686/nosegneg/libpthread.so.0
Reading symbols from /lib/ld-linux.so.2...(no debugging symbols
found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/ld-linux.so.2

(no debugging symbols found)
Core was generated by `bird'.
Program terminated with signal 25, File size limit exceeded.
[New process 4934]
#0  0x00e1e402 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
(gdb) q

The whole signal 25 thing suggests it is coming from outside, but if so,
what?

Here are the limits for the bird process:

[root at localhost 5731]# cat limits
Limit                     Soft Limit           Hard Limit
Units
Max cpu time              unlimited            unlimited
seconds
Max file size             unlimited            unlimited
bytes
Max data size             unlimited            unlimited
bytes
Max stack size            10485760             unlimited
bytes
Max core file size        unlimited            unlimited
bytes
Max resident set          unlimited            unlimited
bytes
Max processes             58655                58655
processes
Max open files            1024                 1024
files
Max locked memory         32768                32768
bytes
Max address space         unlimited            unlimited
bytes
Max file locks            unlimited            unlimited
locks
Max pending signals       58655                58655
signals
Max msgqueue size         819200               819200
bytes
Max nice priority         0                    0
Max realtime priority     0                    0

Any ideas?

David