Problem setting IPv6 next-hop in BGP

S.H. Verbrugge ief at soleus.nu
Fri Nov 20 01:57:43 CET 2009

Hello,

I'm new to this list, so please bear with me.

I'm trying to set up a BGP route advertising server with BIRD,
in order to update IPv6 static routes to a juniper router.

My configuration is as follows (addresses omitted to avoid identification):

==START==
log syslog { debug, trace, info, remote, warning, error, auth, fatal, bug };
log stderr all;

router id <omitted>;
debug protocols all;

protocol device {
        scan time 10;           # Scan interfaces every 10 seconds
}

protocol static {
        route <subnet>/64 via <gateway>;
        route <subnet>/64 via <gateway>;
        route <subnet>/64 via <gateway>;
}

protocol bgp {
        local as 64515;
        source address <own address>;
        rs client;

        export filter {
                if source = RTS_STATIC then {
                        #bgp_next_hop = <gateway>;
                        #gw = <gateway>;
                        accept;
                }
        };

        neighbor <omitted> as <omitted>;
}
==END==

I can see the correct routes being advertised, even with the correct 'via'
in Debug traces,
However, received routes are in the form of:

<subnet>/64 via <bird source address>.

I'm sure I haven't set next-hop self, so this behaviour seems strange to me.

Could anyone please provide some insight into this?

Cheers,
--
 /\/\  Hostingvereniging Soleus                |  Community-driven
< ** > http://soleus.nu                        |  Virtual Private Servers