When adding virtual network interfaces, BIRD crashes sometimes...

ChuYinsu yst.cyan at gmail.com
Fri May 15 10:51:22 CEST 2009

Hi,

I've already had BIRD 1.0.14 installed via the repository(deb
ftp://bird.network.cz/pub/bird/debian/ lenny/i386/), and it was
installed by:
sudo apt-get install bird

So first I tried to uninstall it:
sudo apt-get remove bird

And I downloaded the source code in
http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~zajio1am/temp/bird.tar.gz, run:
tar xvzf bird.tar.gz
cd bird
sudo ./configure
sudo make
sudo make install
(I've had bison, build-essential, m4, make, libreadline-dev, etc.
installed and after the configuration it displayed:
BIRD was configured with the following options:
	Source directory:	.
	Object directory:	obj
	System configuration:	./sysdep/cf/linux-22.h
	Debugging:		no
	Routing protocols:	bgp ospf pipe rip static
	Client:			yes
So the configuration should be with no mistakes.)

But when I tried to run bird:
sudo bird

And I checked the bird is not running:
pgrep bird (no results returned)

And the terminal cannot be open either:
sudo birdc
Unable to connect to server control socket
(/usr/local/var/run/bird.ctl): No such file or directory

Well, I tried to figure it out but I still don't know why this would happen...
The operating system is Ubuntu 9.04.

Thanks!