Two questions about using Bird

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Wed Apr 15 15:06:45 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:25:09PM +0800, ChuYinsu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After taking a little glimpse at the User's Guide, there're still two
> questions I still not quite understand:
>
> 1. Bird is a Linux daemon. I noticed that if I have installed Quagga,
> then when I try to install Bird, the operating system would require me
> to uninstall Quagga first. However there's another one called XORP,
> and it seems to be a platform or application for developing or
> studying routing protocol rather than a daemon. So can I intsall both
> XORP and Bird on a single Linux PC? Will they conflict with each
> other?

This is a policy thing of your distribution. It is possible (i think)
to configure Bird and Quagga (or XORP) to not collide (for example one
as BGP daemon and another as OSPF daemon). But it is not possible
(or at least in a easy way) to have two running OSPF (or BGP) daemons

> 2. Does Bird provide a way to monitor OSPFv2? Like display the LSDB or
> display the routing table, etc.

interactive commands:

show route		- shows routing table
show ospf state		- shows LSDB
show ospf topology	- shows nodes and edges of network (from LSDB)