stability of bird

Roberto Moreda moreda at allenta.com
Sat Aug 13 15:22:47 CEST 2005

I've found two issues a few weeks, when we started to use bird as
routing daemon on a network on >15 routers talking OSPF and
RIP:

	- segmentation faults using OSPF: try to modify the MTU
	  of an interface used on the OSPF protocol :-). This issue is
	  solved apliying the trivial patch that I sent a few weeks
	  ago to the list. No comments by developers side... but
	  "it works for me (TM)".

	- in daemon mode, bird doesn't detach from ttys... so it can
	  cause problems when closing ttys (this issue is also
	  commented in other email without feedback). I have another
	  trivial patch that works for me.

	- in a few situations bird began to exchange a *lot* of OSPF
	  traffic with some peers (a permanent loop of request-update-ack)
	  saturating links between two router. In this situation the
	  only solution was to restart bird. No solution by now. It is
	  very frustrating try to achieve redundancy and find out that
	  two routers are sucking all the bandwith exchanging OSPF
	  traffic :-/

I suppose that summertime is bad for active developing, so I hope that
with the return of holidays bird will get a new and better release :-)

Greets

	Rober

--
Roberto Moreda