RIP interoperability

Adrian Wooster adrian.wooster at orb.coop
Tue Aug 16 16:04:11 CEST 2005

First off - I'm really impressed with bird so far. Its size and
simplicity for what we are doing was a dream.

I have around 20 boxes all using bird, and happily sharing multicast RIP
information - excellent!
I have a Zyxel router configured to issue RIP2m and a Linux box using
Quagga also using RIP2, which are happy to interact with each other.
The bird routers don't see the Quagga/Zyxel updates, and vice versa.

As Quagga and Zyxel are completely different vendors and are happy to
communicate with each other, it feels like the issue is with bird. Is
there something I need to do in the bird configuration to make them
update non-bird RIP2m routers?

sample bird config:

> # Configure logging
> log syslog all;
>
> protocol direct {
> #       interface "-eth*", "*"; # Restrict network interfaces it works
> with
> }
>
> protocol kernel {
> #       learn;                  # Learn all alien routes from the kernel
>         persist;                # Don't remove routes on bird shutdown
>         scan time 5;            # Scan kernel routing table every 20
> seconds
> #       import none;            # Default is import all
>         import all;
>         export all;             # Default is export none
> #       kernel table 5;         # Kernel table to synchronize with
> (default: main)
> }
>
> # This pseudo-protocol watches all interface up/down events.
> protocol device {
>         scan time 2;            # Scan interfaces every 10 seconds
> }
>
> protocol static {
>         route 0.0.0.0/0 via 10.1.200.247;       #default gateway
> }
>
> # RIP
> protocol rip {
>         period 15;