Bird-1.0.9 vs Quagga (ex zebra) in a OSPF network

Damjan gdamjan at mail.net.mk
Sun Aug 8 17:39:18 CEST 2004

> > My network has several Cisco routers, several Linux routers and my
> > workstation is on the same network. The Linux routers have Quagga
> > installed, but on my computer I test both wiht Bird and Quagga.
> >
> > The problem is that Quagga receives all he routes published by the Cisco
> > routers, while Bird doesn't.
> >
> > Even more interesting, from two Cisco routers bird doesn't receive any
> > routes, but from one of the Ciscos bird receives 65 routes while Quagga
> > receives 87 routes.
>
> Please, can you send me some more information? Some map of network
> topology, some 'show ospf' from BIRD and 'show ip ospf database' from
> Cisco and Zebra etc?

well, I've managed to overcome the problem by commenting out line 51 in
proto/ospf/hello.c (that line "return"s if hello options mismatch).
(this trick was suggested by you).

One of the Cisco routers is sending packets that Bird doesn't know how
to handle (by default), so Bird was not communicating with it.
Now its ok.

The bird client still truncates output though. I have some 168 routes in
OSPF but executing "show route" on the birdc command promt returns only
60 or so.
However, executing >>>echo 'show route' | birdc<<< returns all the
routes, so I'm guessing this has something to do with the readline or
ncurses support in birdc.

My readline version is 4.3, and ncurses 5.4 (a slackware-10.0 system).

--
damjan | дамјан
This is my jabber ID --> damjan at bagra.net.mk <-- not my mail address!!!