simple config for exchanging static routes via BGP between two ho sts

Johnson, John M. III John.Johnson at allegiancetelecom.com
Thu Sep 18 07:22:28 CEST 2003

I am trying to setup a simple test of exchanging routing tables between two
hosts.  I have two static routes (one on each host) and I want BGP to
advertise these routes to its peer.   I will be damned if I can figure out
this simple configuration.  Can someone help me out?

Here is the big picture.
I will have a machine in about 6 states across the nation.  They will all be
advertising the same IP (used for out bound SMTP service) that I want to
inject to the BGP tables for the network.  This will allow me to have
regional SMTP servers and off load a lot of work from my central SMTP farm.
Anyway, to make a long story short, if one of the boxes dies, its BGP
advertisement will also go away (funny how that works huh?).  This will
cause BGP to reconverge and direct traffic to the next nearest SMTP server.
I am just trying to get started w/ the bird config and could use a little
help.

Thanks
	John M. Johnson