Routing server traffic thru two external ips.

Michael Renzmann mrenzmann at compulan.de
Wed Mar 7 13:46:09 CET 2001

Hi.

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 15:11:48 -0800 (PST) Chuck Larson <wyatt at coolsend.com>
wrote:

> Getting some good feed back, but I am getting the impression that bird may
> not be the solution.  A few have mentioned loadsharing, and I have looked
> into this.  The issue with loadsharing, from what I've read,  my ISP must
> support that two NIC can share the same IP.  The is not an option for me.
> What I do know is that I can add a route to a specific IP to the routing
> table and it transmits through the second NIC(eth1), default is eth0.  There
> is no interuption to the game and works great.  So if I have 12 hosts( with
> unique ips ), can bird modify the routing table to put 6 hosts  on eth0, and
> 6 on eth1?  Parameters to use could be port, protocol, (bandwidth?).

This is no problem that should be addressed with bird, I think. You need a
kernel that is capable of "equal path multi routes" (I don't recall the
correct name of this feature). This means, you add two default routes, one for
eth0 and one for eth1. The kernel sees that there are different routes with
equal metric for a given address and uses those routes in a round robin
schedule (sending one packet over eth0, the next over eth1, the next over eth0
and so on). I think this should work (if I did not fully misunderstood your
problem).

Bye, Mike