OSPF and IPv6

David Rohleder davro at ics.muni.cz
Mon Feb 26 20:46:18 CET 2001

Martin Mares <mj at atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz> writes:

> Hello!
>
> > Sorry, but i don't want OSPFv3, but OSPFv2 for IPv4 and another
> [snip]
> > but I can't see any reason for this.
> >
> > Hmmm, when I enable IPv6, then IPv4 is disabled? Why?
>
> The reason is that Linux/IPv4 and Linux/IPv6 are two substantially
> different ports.
>
> Unless you want to exchange routes between IPv4 and IPv6 which is
> very unlikely, you can run two separate instances of bird, one for
> IPv4 and one for IPv6.

Yes, and have 2 binaries for those protocols. Very funny. :-(

I don't see any reason to make 2 binaries, when architecture of your
programm can easily support both protocols.

Otherwise, there should be 2 binaries with different names - because
they do 2 different things.

bird-ipv4 and bird-ipv6

Think about adding BIRD to for example Debian distribution. If there
is only one name of this daemon, you have to create 2 conflicting
packages bird-ipv4 and bird-ipv6.

David Rohleder						davro at ics.muni.cz
Institute of Computer Science, Masaryk University
Brno, Czech Republic