Routing server traffic thru two external ips.

Martin Mares mj at ucw.cz
Tue Feb 20 10:16:03 CET 2001

Hi!

> I am new and would like to know if this is possible with bird.
>
> I currently have a game server setup behind a linux router/firewall which is
> hooked up to two cable modems via two NICS( eth0 and eth1 ).  The idea is
> that if I have 12( or more ) players, how do I tell the kernel( with me
> telling using route ) TX packets to 6 players on eth0 and the other 6 on
> eth1.  Any thoughts?

It depends on what your bandwidth requirements are.

(a) The problem is in outgoing traffic, incoming traffic is minimal

   If both modems are connected to the same provider, the best
   solution is to avoid any routing tricks and just use the load
   balancing features of Linux traffic control.

(b) Both incoming and outgoing traffic needs multiplexing

   That's going to be a real problem -- either you need cooperation at
   the side of your ISP (either load balancing in the opposite direction
   or dynamic routing between them and your site) or solve it at connection
   level (i.e., either use round-robin DNS or some kind of redirects
   in your application protocol to re-establish connection via the less
   loaded line).

				Have a nice fortnight
--
Martin `MJ' Mares   <mj at ucw.cz>   http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
Linux vs. Windows is a no-WIN situation.