Next bunch of questions...

Michael Renzmann mrenzmann at compulan.de
Tue Feb 13 11:40:26 CET 2001

Hi again.

I noticed messages in my syslog that inform about bird dumping the routing
table a bit to often to the interfaces. Example:

 Feb 13 09:36:41 (none) daemon.debug bird: rip1: Broadcasting routing table to
eth0
 Feb 13 09:36:51 (none) daemon.debug bird: rip1: Broadcasting routing table to
eth0
 Feb 13 09:36:58 (none) daemon.debug bird: rip1: Broadcasting routing table to
eth0
 Feb 13 09:37:09 (none) daemon.debug bird: rip1: Broadcasting routing table to
eth0
 Feb 13 09:37:20 (none) daemon.debug bird: rip1: Broadcasting routing table to
eth0
 Feb 13 09:37:26 (none) daemon.debug bird: rip1: Broadcasting routing table to
eth0
 Feb 13 09:37:33 (none) daemon.debug bird: rip1: Broadcasting routing table to
eth0
 Feb 13 09:37:39 (none) daemon.debug bird: rip1: Broadcasting routing table to
eth0
 Feb 13 09:37:45 (none) daemon.debug bird: rip1: Broadcasting routing table to
eth0
 Feb 13 09:37:53 (none) daemon.debug bird: rip1: Broadcasting routing table to
eth0

If I did not fully misunderstood the meaning of the configuration options it
should broadcast them every 30 seconds, not every 5 to 10 seconds:

---[cut]---
log syslog all;
debug commands 2;
router id 192.168.2.102;

protocol kernel {
	persist off;
	scan time 20;
	learn on;
	export all;
}

protocol device {
	scan time 10;
}

protocol direct {
	interface "*";
}

protocol rip {
	authentication none;
	honor neighbour;
	period 30;
	interface "eth0" { mode broadcast; };
	interface "tun*" { mode broadcast; };
	debug all;
	export filter { print "exporting (rip)"; accept; };
	import filter { print "importing (rip)"; accept; };
}
---[cut]---

Did I miss anything?

Another question: is there any chance to distribute my routing tables via
RIPv2 over point-to-point links? I used Multicast mode at first (by not
specifying any interface line in the "protocol rip" section of the
configuration), but this did not seem to work. I don't know if it did not work
because of a multicast problem (multicast is enabled in the kernel, I use
linux 2.2.17) or if it did not work as there was no interface line (in this
case the example in the documentation should be corrected). Using broadcast
does not work as there is no broadcast address for the interfaces (tun*) that
are used for the point-to-point link.

What is needed for the multicast mode to work?

Bye, Mike