BIRD doesn't compile

David Rohleder davro at ics.muni.cz
Fri Apr 6 10:30:44 CEST 2001

"James A. Crippen" <james at UnLambda.COM> writes:

> On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Florian Lohoff wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 03:48:34PM +0200, David Rohleder wrote:
> > >
> > > if [ -S /var/bird.ctl ] ; then
> > >                 echo already running
> > > fi
> > >
> > > does the same thing.
> >
> > > And off course many daemons are using start-stop-daemon
> >
> > Just by staring at it i saw a couple of ugly things - Must have been
> > very early when i actually did it.
> >
> > The above would only imply that the pipe exists but not actually
> > tell you if bird is running.
> >
> > "birdc" exits with an error code > 0 if bird is not reachable which
> > i try to detect.
> >
> > The problem with the start-stop-daemon is that it needs a pid file
> > which when i remember correctly is not written by bird. One
> > solution would have been to make a patch to bird (Which i had
> > done if i remember) but i dropped it because of lazyness.
>
> I have my own init system which uses a C program similar to debian's
> start-stop-daemon.  I've written it such that given a command line flag
> the daemon spawning program will write a pid file if you know the daemon
> you're running doesn't write one (such as with bird).  Once I did this I
> had no trouble starting and stopping bird using the pid file
> mechanism.  Perhaps you might patch debian's start-stop-daemon to do a
> similar thing?  It's a thought.

start-stop-daemon already does this:

START-STOP-DAEMON(8)     Debian GNU/Linux    START-STOP-DAEMON(8)

--make-pidfile
              Used  when  starting a program that does not create
              its own pid file. This option will make start-stop-
              daemon  create  the  file referenced with --pidfile
              and place the pid into it just before executing the
              process. Note, it will not be removed when stopping
              the program.  NOTE: This feature may  not  work  in
              all cases. Most notably when the program being exe­
              cuted forks from it's main process. Because of this
              it  is  usually  only useful when combined with the
              --background option.

David Rohleder						davro at ics.muni.cz
Institute of Computer Science, Masaryk University
Brno, Czech Republic