RIP Metric export to kernel table ?

Martin Mares mj at ucw.cz
Tue Jun 20 01:47:47 CEST 2000

Hello!

> This is something i neglect - I have seen bird delete the local ethernet
> route but continuing to try to add routes to gateways on the net unreachable
> due to deletion of the route and the kernel refusing to add the route
> because of destination unreachable.

   Unless something got terribly misconfigured, BIRD should never do such a thing
-- device routes have absolutely the highest preference and nothing should make
BIRD remove them or replace them by anything else.

   Which system configuration did it happen with? linux-20 or linux-22? (Unless
you need to run an old kernel, I recommend using the latter one since the old
BSD-ish interface to the routing tables is somewhat fishy.)  With linux-22
BIRD surely doesn't even touch any device routes in kernel tables and it lets
the kernel itself take care of them.  The linux-20 configuration could in theory
have such problems, because it does a lot of magic things when synchronizing
the routing tables and it probably isn't tested well as machines running 2.0
kernels are very rare here.

   Is the problem reproducable? I would be very interested in a test case
where it deterministically happens.

				Have a nice fortnight
--
Martin `MJ' Mares   <mj at ucw.cz>   http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
"It said, "Insert disk #3," but only two will fit!"