RIP Metric export to kernel table ?

Mario Lorenz ml at vdazone.org
Tue Jun 20 00:37:07 CEST 2000

Hi list,

I was just looking for a more configurable RIP engine than routed is, when
I came across bird.

bird seems fine for all I want to do, except one problem: It does not
export the RIP metric of routes it receives to the kernel. Or may be
I am just too stupid to do it, given that I couldnt get zebra to do it either.
With stock routed it works, however.

The application I have for this is a VPN with a dial-on-demand modem backup.
In order to make the ppp link being used if its up, I need to control the
metrics differently for the links. That works fine with bird filters, and the
rip announcements do carry the correct metric (i set it to 5),
according to tcpdump.

However on the other end, the routes show up with metric 0 in the kernel
table, which of course disturbs the settings I planned for it.

What am I doing wrong ?

Regards,
Mario

--
Mario Lorenz                            Internet:    <ml at vdazone.org>
                                        Ham Radio:   DL5MLO at OK0PKL.#BOH.CZE.EU