Broadcasts not broadcasting?

Network Administration noc at clouddancer.com
Fri Dec 29 01:58:50 CET 2000

   Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 11:53:29 -0900 (AKST)
   From: "James A. Crippen" <james at UnLambda.COM>

   I'm using bird 1.0.4 on an Intel Linux box (homemade distro).  I've
   configured bird to do RIP broadcast.  I then plugged the system into my
   local network and into a separate network and did the same with my desktop
   system.  I configured bird to dump lots of debug info to the syslog, and I
   see it say that it broadcasts its routing table to both eth0 and eth1, but
   watching either network shows me absolutely no traffic from either
   interface.  I pinged back and forth to be sure, and I can see the pings
   and the associated ARP traffic quite clearly, but no RIP broadcasts at
   all.

How are you watching??  Can you see UDP traffic?  If not, use
Ethereal.